Re: JDBC 4 Compliance

От dmp
Тема Re: JDBC 4 Compliance
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 24.06.2013 20:59, Bryan Varner wrote:
>> * Initially when we contacted the list about implementing interleaving
>> we got everything from (paraphrased) 'it's a good idea' to 'if you need
> assure you that there is enough code of mine out there that I don't feel
> particularly attached to any of it. My objections were purely technical.
>
>> * It seems as though the project is resistant to any form of code-change
>> beyond a trivial bug fix to existing code. This seems like a release
>> management failure more than anything.
>
> I don't think there's much resistance as such, just a lack of Dave's
> time to review and commit patches. In fact, I get the feeling that
> trivial bug fixes fall through the cracks just as easily as bigger code
> changes - I've had a couple of my trivial patches linger for months, too.
>
> The problem is that there isn't many people reviewing and committing
> patches. Dave and Oliver are busy with other stuff.
>
> We have some people who pop up every now and then with a patch, but how
> do we get them involved in reviewing other people's work? How can we get
> more people involved in doing the boring, janitorial work of making sure
> that the driver works with supported all versions of JDBC and JRE?
>
> - Heikki

I think projects really get pushed forward either by a passionate leader
or money. Since pgJDBC is free then the latter is not the motivating factor.
Not only does a leader need to be passonate but also have a high degree
of organizational skills. Those skill can be used effectively to make decisions
on work prioritization and communicating to others areas where they could
contribute. All of this should take place in a open simple to understand
manner even for the newbies. The last real issue is time or a least a person
that has high degree ability of managing their time.

I thought a while back that when Dave asked for a discussion with updating
the web site that some effort might take place in perhaps providing a means
to make information, (patches, todos, issues), more visible to newbies and
regulars alike. That seems to have died like other efforts in the works on
the list. Perhaps some new leadership is in order with oversite by Dave,
Kris, Oliver, ... others?

Maybe that leadership should be one of those that is exercising passion by
creating one of the forks. A warning though is in order, a good leader is
not necessarily a good coder and does all the work. That person needs to
have the qualities listed above and the ability to enlist, motivate others.

The PostgreSQL server in the last few years seems to be pushed forward by
some regulars that appears to me to be backed by companies that have an
interest in getting work done. Perhaps the pgJDBC may also need this type of
help from those that need the JDBC.

danap.