Re: Implementing incremental backup

От Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
Тема Re: Implementing incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 20/06/2013 03:25, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> [...]
[...]
>> The only bottleneck here, is WAL archiving. This assumes you can
>> afford WAL archiving at least to a local filesystem, and that the WAL
>> compressor is able to cope with WAL bandwidth. But I have no reason to
>> think you'd be able to cope with dirty-map updates anyway if you were
>> saturating the WAL compressor, as the compressor is more efficient on
>> amortized cost per transaction than the dirty-map approach.
>
> Thank you for detailed explanation. I will think more about this.

Just for the record, I was mulling over this idea since a bunch of
month. I even talked about that with Dimitri Fontaine some weeks ago
with some beers :)

My idea came from a customer during a training explaining me the
difference between differential and incremental backup in Oracle.

My approach would have been to create a standalone tool (say
pg_walaggregate) which takes a bunch of WAL from archives and merge them
in a single big file, keeping only the very last version of each page
after aggregating all their changes. The resulting file, aggregating all
the changes from given WAL files would be the "differential backup".

A differential backup resulting from a bunch of WAL between W1 and Wn
would help to recover much faster to the time of Wn than replaying all
the WALs between W1 and Wn and saves a lot of space.

I was hoping to find some time to dig around this idea, but as the
subject rose here, then here are my 2¢!

Cheers,
--
Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais