Re: Patch to add support of "IF NOT EXISTS" to others "CREATE" statements

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Patch to add support of "IF NOT EXISTS" to others "CREATE" statements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/20/13 11:04 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> I kind of don't see the point of having IF NOT EXISTS for things that
> have OR REPLACE, and am generally in favor of implementing OR REPLACE
> rather than IF NOT EXISTS where possible.

I tend to agree.

>> > Btw., I also want REPLACE BUT DO NOT CREATE.
> That's a mouthful.  What's it good for?

If you run an upgrade SQL script that is supposed to replace, say, a
bunch of functions with new versions, you'd want the behavior that it
replaces the existing function if it exists, but errors out if it
doesn't, because then you're perhaps connected to the wrong database.

It's a marginal feature, and I'm not going to pursue it, but if someone
wanted to make the CREATE commands fully featured, there is use for this.