Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions
Дата
Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions  (Jeremy Schneider <schneider@ardentperf.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 14 Mar 2024, at 16:48, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> On 13.03.24 18:12, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> I think "minor" is a better term since it contrasts with "major".  We
>> don't actually supply patches to upgrade minor versions.
>
> There are potentially different adjectives that could apply to "version" and "release".
>
> The version numbers can be called major and minor, because that just describes their ordering and significance.
>
> But I do agree that "minor release" isn't quite as clear, because one could also interpret that as "a release, but a
bitsmaller this time". (Also might not translate well, since "minor" and "small" could translate to the same thing.)

Some of the user confusion likely stems from us using the same nomenclature as
SemVer, but for different things.  SemVer has become very widely adopted, to
the point where it's almost assumed by many, so maybe we need to explicitly
state that we *don't* use SemVer (we don't mention that anywhere in the docs or
on the website).

> One could instead, for example, describe those as "maintenance releases":

That might indeed be a better name for what we provide.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
От: jian he
Сообщение: Re: remaining sql/json patches