Re: JSON and unicode surrogate pairs

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: JSON and unicode surrogate pairs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/11/2013 06:26 PM, Noah Misch wrote:

>> As a final counter example, let me note that Postgres itself handles
>> Unicode escapes differently in UTF8 databases - in other databases it
>> only accepts Unicode escapes up to U+007f, i.e. ASCII characters.
> I don't see a counterexample there; every database that accepts without error
> a given Unicode escape produces from it the same text value.  The proposal to
> which I objected was akin to having non-UTF8 databases silently translate
> E'\u0220' to E'\\u0220'.

What?

There will be no silent translation. The only debate here is about how
these databases turn strings values inside a json datum into PostgreSQL
text values via the documented operation of certain functions and
operators. If the JSON datum doesn't already contain a unicode escape
then nothing of what's been discussed would apply. Nothing whatever
that's been proposed would cause a unicode escape sequence to be emitted
that wasn't already there in the first place, and no patch that I have
submitted has contained any escape sequence generation at all.

cheers

andrew