Re: DO ... RETURNING

От Stefan Drees
Тема Re: DO ... RETURNING
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-06-11 19:01 CEST, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 05:27 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>> And this still has next-to-nothing to do with the specific proposal that
>>> was put forward.
>>
>> It's a complete feature but completely relevant to the discussion --
>> the behaviors have a lot of overlap and CALL is in the standard
>> whereas the ad hoc feature DO isn't.
> Could you point to the ISO/ANSI SQL CALL definition ?

On the publicly available standards page of ISO:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

searching in it for SQL shows link of "ISO/IEC 9075-1:2008":

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c045498_ISO_IEC_9075-1_2008.zip

when you follow and go through:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/licence.html

i.e. accept the granted license, you may receive a personal single copy
non-distributable PDF version of

ISO/IEC 9075-1:2008, 3rd Edition, Information technology -- Database
languages -- SQL -- Part 1: Framework (SQL/Framework), of COmmittee
JTC1/SC32

There at least in section 5.3.4 you find the pointer, that among others,
the terms CALL and RETURN are specified in ISO9075-2.

So that "points", but to follow to the end ... ;-)

but at least it is clear from this source, that CALL seems to be a
statement in SQL to invoke a procedure or whatever name juggling suits.

HTH,
Stefan.