Re: Hard limit on WAL space used (because PANIC sucks)

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Hard limit on WAL space used (because PANIC sucks)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/08/2013 10:57 AM, Daniel Farina wrote:

>> At which point most sensible users say "no thanks, I'll use something else".
> [snip]
>
> I have a clear bias in experience here, but I can't relate to someone
> who sets up archives but is totally okay losing a segment unceremoniously,
> because it only takes one of those once in a while to make a really,
> really bad day.

It sounds like between you both you've come up with a pretty solid
argument by exclusion for throttling WAL writing as space grows
critical. Dropping archive segments seems pretty unsafe from the solid
arguments Daniel presents, and Josh makes a good case for why shutting
the DB down when archiving can't keep up isn't any better.