Re: Hard limit on WAL space used (because PANIC sucks)

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Hard limit on WAL space used (because PANIC sucks)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/07/2013 12:14 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Right now, what we're telling users is "You can have continuous backup
> with Postgres, but you'd better hire and expensive consultant to set it
> up for you, or use this external tool of dubious provenance which
> there's no packages for, or you might accidentally cause your database
> to shut down in the middle of the night."

This is an outright falsehood. We are telling them, "You better know
what you are doing" or "You should call a consultant". This is no
different than, "You better know what you are doing" or "You should take
driving lessons".

> At which point most sensible users say "no thanks, I'll use something else".

Josh I have always admired your flair for dramatics, it almost rivals
mine. Users are free to use what they want, some will chose lesser
databases. I am ok with that because eventually if PostgreSQL is the
right tool, they will come back to us, and PgExperts or CMD or OmniTI or
they will know what they are doing and thus don't need us.

JD