Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/5/2013 11:31 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> I have zero doubt that in your case it is true and desirable. I just don't
>> know that it is a positive solution to the problem as a whole. Your case is
>> rather limited to your environment, which is rather limited to the type of
>> user that your environment has. Which lends itself to the idea that this
>> should be a Heroku Postgres thing, not a .Org wide thing.
> If you look through the -general archives, or on stack overflow you'll
> find ample evidence that it is a problem that lots of people have.

Not to be unkind but the problems of the uniformed certainly are not the
problems of the informed. Or perhaps they are certainly the problems of
the informed :P. I do read -general and I don't see it much honestly. I
don't watch stackoverflow that much but I am sure it probably does come
up here, sometimes but I bet I can point once again to a lack of
provisioning on their part.

This reminds me of the time that someone from Heroku said at PgEast,
with a show of hands how many people here don't backup there database to
S3. Almost everyone in the audience raised their hands.

Again, I don't question your need but just because it is hot and now
doesn't mean it is healthy. I honestly do no see the requirement you are
trying to represent as a need for the wider, production community.

(in short, not a single one of my customers would benefit from it, and
90% of them are running databases Heroku can't.)

That is not a slight, honestly. I think your service is cool. I am just
being honest.

Sincerely,

JD