Re: UTF-8 encoding problem w/ libpq

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: UTF-8 encoding problem w/ libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03.06.2013 21:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas@vmware.com>  writes:
>> He *is* using UTF-8. Or trying to, anyway :-). The downcasing in the
>> backend is supposed to leave bytes with the high-bit set alone, ie. in
>> UTF-8 encoding, it's supposed to leave ä and ß alone.
>
> Well, actually, downcase_truncate_identifier() is doing this:
>
>         unsigned char ch = (unsigned char) ident[i];
>
>         if (ch>= 'A'&&  ch<= 'Z')
>             ch += 'a' - 'A';
>         else if (IS_HIGHBIT_SET(ch)&&  isupper(ch))
>             ch = tolower(ch);
>
> There's basically no way that that second case can give pleasant results
> in a multibyte encoding, other than by not doing anything.

Hmph, I see.

> I suspect
> that Windows' libc has fewer defenses than other implementations and
> performs some transformation that we don't get elsewhere.  This may also
> explain the gripe yesterday in -general about funny results in OS X.

Can't really blame Windows on that. On Windows, we don't require that
the encoding and LC_CTYPE's charset match. The OP used UTF-8 encoding in
the server, but LC_CTYPE="English_United Kingdom.1252", ie. LC_CTYPE
implies WIN1252 encoding. We allow that and it generally works on
Windows because in varstr_cmp, we use MultiByteToWideChar() followed by
wcscoll_l(), which doesn't care about the charset implied by LC_CTYPE.
But for isupper(), it matters.

> We talked about this before and went off into the weeds about whether
> it was sensible to try to use towlower() and whether that wouldn't
> create undesirably platform-sensitive results.  I wonder though if we
> couldn't just fix this code to not do anything to high-bit-set bytes
> in multibyte encodings.

Yeah, we should do that. It makes no sense to call isupper or tolower on
bytes belonging to multi-byte characters.

- Heikki