Re: Vacuum, Freeze and Analyze: the big picture

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Vacuum, Freeze and Analyze: the big picture
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff,

> Do we know why anti-wraparound uses so many resources in the first place?
>  The default settings seem to be quite conservative to me, even for a
> system that has only a single 5400 rpm hdd (and even more so for any real
> production system that would be used for a many-GB database).
>
> I wonder if there is something simple but currently unknown going on which
> is causing it to damage performance out of all proportion to the resources
> it ought to be using.

Does anti-wraparound vacuum (AWAV) write synchronously?  If so, there's
a potential whole world of hurt there.

Otherwise, the effect you're seeing is just blowing out various caches:
the CPU cache, storage cache, and filesystem cache.  While we can (and
do) prevent vacuum from blowing out shared_buffers, we can't do much
about the others.

Also, locking while it does its work.

--
Josh Berkus