Re: In progress INSERT wrecks plans on table

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: In progress INSERT wrecks plans on table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 26/04/13 14:56, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 26/04/13 14:33, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>> Recently we encountered the following unhappy sequence of events:
>>
>> 1/ system running happily
>> 2/ batch load into table begins
>> 3/ very quickly (some) preexisting queries on said table go orders of
>> magnitude slower
>> 4/ database instance becomes unresponsive
>> 5/ application outage
>>
>> After looking down a few false leads, We've isolated the cause to the
>> following:
>>
>> The accumulating in-progress row changes are such that previously
>> optimal plans are optimal no longer. Now this situation will fix
>> itself when the next autoanalyze happens (and new plan will be
>> chosen) - however that cannot occur until the batch load is completed
>> and committed (approx 70 seconds). However during that time there is
>> enough of a performance degradation for queries still using the old
>> plan to cripple the server.
>>
>> Now that we know what is happening we can work around it. But I'm
>> wondering - is there any way (or if not should there be one) to let
>> postgres handle this automatically? I experimented with a quick hack
>> to src/backend/commands/analyze.c (attached) that lets another
>> session's ANALYZE see in progress rows - which works but a) may cause
>> other problems and b) does not help autoaanalyze which has to wait
>> for COMMIT + stats message.
>>
>> I've attached a (synthetic) test case that shows the issue, I'll
>> reproduce the output below to hopefully make the point obvious:
>>

>>                Table "public.plan"
>>  Column |            Type             | Modifiers
>> --------+-----------------------------+-----------
>>  id     | integer                     | not null
>>  typ    | integer                     | not null
>>  dat    | timestamp without time zone |
>>  val    | text                        | not null
>>     "plan_id" UNIQUE, btree (id)
>>     "plan_dat" btree (dat)
>>     "plan_typ" btree (typ)
>>

>> [Session 1]
>> EXPLAIN ANALYZE
>> SELECT * FROM plan
>> WHERE typ = 3 AND dat IS NOT NULL;
>>                                                      QUERY PLAN

>>  Index Scan using plan_dat on plan  (cost=0.00..265.47 rows=55
>> width=117) (actual time=0.130..4.409 rows=75 loops=1)
>>    Index Cond: (dat IS NOT NULL)
>>    Filter: (typ = 3)
>>    Rows Removed by Filter: 5960
>>  Total runtime: 4.440 ms
>> (5 rows)
>>
>> [Session 2]
>>
>> BEGIN;
>> INSERT INTO plan
>> SELECT id + 2000001,typ,current_date + id * '1 seconds'::interval ,val
>> FROM plan
>> ;
>>
>> [Session 1]
>> EXPLAIN ANALYZE
>> SELECT * FROM plan
>> WHERE typ = 3 AND dat IS NOT NULL;
>>
>>                                                       QUERY PLAN

>>  Index Scan using plan_dat on plan  (cost=0.00..551.35 rows=91
> [...]

While in general you are quite correct - in the above case (particularly
as I've supplied a test case) it should be pretty obvious that any
moderately modern version of postgres on any supported platform will
exhibit this.

I produced the above test case on Postgres 9.2.4 Ubuntu 13.04, with no
changes to the default postgresql.conf

Now our actual production server is a 32 CPU box with 512GB RAM, and 16
SAS SSD running Postgres 9.2.4 on Ubuntu 12.04. And yes there are quite
a few changes from the defaults there - and I wasted quite a lot of time
chasing issues with high CPU and RAM, and changing various configs to
see if they helped - before identifying that the issue was in progress
row changes and planner statistics.  Also in the "real" case with much
bigger datasets the difference between the plan being optimal and it
*not* being optimal is a factor of 2000x elapsed time instead of a mere
50x  !

regards

Mark