Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/25/2013 10:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Christopher Manning <c@christophermanning.org> writes:
>> Fabrízio and Tom,
>> I know that you can use  --variable="FETCH_COUNT=10000" from the
>> psql command line, but internally that uses a CURSOR to batch the rows and
>> [Redshift doesn't support CURSOR](
>> https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=122664&tstart=0) so it's
>> not an option when using psql to download data from Redshift.
> I don't know what redshift is,

It's an Amazon product based on release 8.0, but with many many features
removed (e.g. Indexes!)

> but I have very little patience with the
> idea of burdening psql with yet another random feature in order to work
> around deficiencies in somebody else's software.  Considering that the
> earliest any such thing could reach the field would be 9.4, it seems not
> unlikely that the need for it would be gone by next year anyway.

Plus there is the fact that we have no way to test it against redshift
anyway.

It should be up to Amazon to produce a useful psql program that works
with redshift, not us. We have enough to do to support our own product.

If this is to be justified at all it needs to be without reference to
redshift.

cheers

andrew