Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/22/2013 10:05 AM, Moshe Jacobson wrote:
Setup a slave.

Not bad, but the transaction logs would fill up the file system. Besides, it would not be worth it to set up a whole database cluster just for this purpose.

Any alternatives?

if your file system supports it (ZFS, for instance), you /could/ take a volume snapshot/clone, and then mount that and run a separate instance of PostgreSQL on it, using a different port number.  when done with your reports, you'd drop that instance and snapshot.

we run a separate server (hardware and database) for our reporting systems as their workload is heavier than the realtime transaction system.