RE: text fields and performance for ETL

От Grega Jesih
Тема RE: text fields and performance for ETL
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

Hi David.

> We’re entitled to a bit of self-centeredness here, especially when the broader world is so varied

One can tell ;-)

Current text:

Suggested current text addendum:

But, if you consider doing ETL from Postgres database to some outer target environment and you seek performance in such interfaces, follow the logic of limited size (varchar or char) data types in your database model. Because if you make a dataflow of known size types, interface code can take a big block of data while for text fields you need to check each record.

Optional additional remark:

Another good aspect of known data sizes is easier understanding of field content and implicit data (length) control.

Best regards
Grega