Re: [GSOC] questions about idea "rewrite pg_dump as library"

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [GSOC] questions about idea "rewrite pg_dump as library"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/10/13 10:54 AM, ˧ wrote:
> I'm interested in the idea "Rewrite (add) pg_dump and pg_restore
> utilities as libraries (.so, .dll & .dylib)".

The pg_dump code is a giant mess, and refactoring it as a library is
perhaps not a project for a new hacker.

Independent of that, I think the first consideration in such a project
would be, who else would be using that library?  What are the use cases?And then come up with an interface around that,
andthen see about
refactoring pg_dump.

I think the main uses cases mentioned in connection with this idea are
usually in the direction of finer-grained control over what gets dumped
and how.  But making pg_dump into a library would not necessarily
address that.