Re: Re: Rethinking hint bits WAS: Protecting against unexpected zero-pages: proposal

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: Rethinking hint bits WAS: Protecting against unexpected zero-pages: proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not ignoring them; I just choose to work on other issues, since
>>> there is no viable proposal for fixing them. �I don't intend to put
>>> my time into dead ends.

>> So, that's a "show me a patch and we'll talk"? �Understood, then.

> Or even just a proposal.

Well, he did have a proposal ... it just wasn't very credible.  Moving
the hint bits around is at best a zero-sum game; it seems likely to
degrade cases we now handle well more than it improves cases we don't.
I think what we need is a fundamentally new idea, and I've not seen one.