Re: Money casting too liberal?

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: Money casting too liberal?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 30/03/13 11:30, Gavan Schneider wrote:
> On 29/3/13 at 3:32 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:46:40 -0400 Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Well, this has been discussed before, and the majority view every
>>> time has been that MONEY is a legacy thing that most people would
>>> rather rip out than sink a large amount of additional effort into.
>
> The only reason I have tried to explore these ideas is that the type
> is currently too quirky for most use cases. So I must agree that
> remove/ignore is the least work option. An argument for making the
> type more useful can be made by analogy to the geolocation add-in
> type. Most never go there but those who need to do so seem to prefer
> the builtin functionality over hand coding the same behaviour with
> columns of arrays that just happen to contain location data.
>
>>> It has some use-cases but they are narrow, and it's not clear how
>>> much wider the use-cases would be if we tried to generalize it.
>
> A well designed and specific tool can be worth the effort.
>
> The use cases include:
>
>     Financial data, accounts in a single currency, i.e., the money
> column in a transaction
>
>     Multi currency data, i.e., keeping track of transactions across
> several currencies.
>         specifically we are NOT doing conversions, what arrives/leaves
> as $ or ¥ stays that way,
>         this implies the dB has tables for each area of operation or
> columns for each currency
>
> One thing the type should not attempt or allow any implicit
> transforming of alues. Mostly a currency change is a transaction and
> whenever it happens it has to be recored as such, e.g., so many ¥
> leave their column, appropriate $ are added to their column, and
> commission $/¥ is added to its column, also included will be: exchange
> rate reference time-stamp journal reference, etc. A constraint could
> be constructed to ensure the double entry book keeping zero sum
> convention has been maintained across the whole transaction.
>
> One time this might not be so detailed is for a VIEW where something
> akin to total worth is being reported. In cases like this the exchange
> rates would usually be in their table and the business rules would
> dictate which one is to be used to build the VIEW, e.g., end of month
> report, and it might be shown with all values in a single currency
> depending on the company's HQ.
>

>> I wonder if our vision isn't a little tunneled here.  Using this type
>> for money is, perhaps, a specialized use and the type should really be
>> called something else and modified to remove all connotations of money
>> from it.  So...
>>

>> - Drop the currency symbol
>> - Allow number of decimals to be defined once for the column
>> - Don't use locale except to specify decimal separator (',' vs. '.')
>>
> Mostly this is cosmetic and only relevant for parsing text on data
> entry or default formatting with SELECT on the command line. The power
> of the class is that none of this is in the data other than as dB
> [...]
While for my current project I don't need this, I've dealt with money
many times, so it would be great to have a proper money type when I next
needed to handle money in a database (which is bound to happen sooner or
later!)!

How about a picture clause for display - encodes details about how to
handle negative numbers.

QUESTION:
How best to handle the difference between English and European
conventions for thousand separators:
  English convention: NZ$1,000,005.34
European convention: NZ$1.000.005,34
note the use of '.' & ',' are swapped!

QUESTION:
Should the type of $ (NZ$ vs US$) be dropped if it matches the locale?

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: Money casting too liberal?
От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: Money casting too liberal?