Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/1/13 4:55 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

>> >In my experience the mere fact of (unlockedly, but still) accessing all the
>> >buffer headers can cause noticeable slowdowns in write only/mostly workloads with
>> >big amounts of shmem.
>> >Due to the write only nature large amounts of the buffers have a similar
>> >usagecounts (since they are infrequently touched after the initial insertion)
>> >and there are no free ones around so the search for a buffer frequently runs
>> >through*all*  buffer headers multiple times till it decremented all usagecounts
>> >to 0. Then comes a period where free buffers are found easily (since all
>> >usagecounts from the current sweep point onwards are zero). After that it
>> >starts all over.
>> >I now have seen that scenario multiple times:(
> Interesting -- I was thinking about that too, but it's a separate
> problem with a different trigger.  Maybe a bailout should be in there
> so that after X usage_count adjustments the sweeper summarily does an
> eviction, or maybe the "max" declines from 5 once per hundred buffers
> inspected or some such.

What's the potential downside on that though? IE: what happens if this scheme suddenly evicts the root page on a
heavilyused index? You'll suddenly have a ton of stuff blocked waiting for that page to come back in.

This is a use case that I think would benefit greatly from a background process that keeps pages in the free list.

That said, I now suspect that your "frightened turtle" approach would be of higher value than "bgfreelist"... but I
suspectwe'll ultimately want both of them for different reasons.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                   jim@nasby.net

Сообщение: Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache
Сообщение: Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache