Re: Need advice on best system to choose

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: Need advice on best system to choose
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/23/2013 4:03 PM, Kenroy Bennett wrote:
> I welcome your advice on  choosing  between these systems

those are both obsolete systems several generations old.  The HP DL
stuff is g7 or g8 now, not g4.   that sunfire is newer, but doesn't have
much ram, at least by modern database server standards.

your system description didn't include the all important performance
requirements.   "the database will be update on a hourly  basis." ...
does that mean 1 row is updated every hour?    some sized batch of new
data is inserted?   or the whole database is wiped and rebuilt?  or
what?     most of my databases are undergoing constant updates/inserts
of new data on a steady basis, so we measure things in terms of
transactions/second, with an understanding of the approximate size of
each transaction.

the CPUs in that DL380G4 are late Pentium-4 class, they are the dual
core version of the rather slow 'netburst' architecture.  in particular
these weren't all that fast at most floating point type operations.

the E5450, is from the Core 2 Quad generation, so its quite a bit better
than the P4's, but still way behind the Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge stuff

Сообщение: Re: Rewritten rows on unchanged values
Сообщение: Re: Rewritten rows on unchanged values