Re: Rewritten rows on unchanged values

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Rewritten rows on unchanged values
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 03/22/2013 06:41 AM, Ryan Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03/22/13, 2013 at 06:16:11AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 03/22/2013 05:32 AM, Bertrand Janin wrote:
>>> I noticed how rows were re-written to a different location (new ctid) even
>>> without changes to the values. This illustrate what I mean:
>>>
>>>      CREATE TABLE demo (id serial, value text);
>>>
>>>      -- generate a few pages of dummy data
>>>      INSERT INTO demo (value)
>>>      SELECT md5(s.a::text)
>>>      FROM generate_series(1, 1000) AS s(a);
>>>
>>>      -- ctid = (0,1)
>>>      SELECT id, xmin, ctid, value
>>>      FROM demo
>>>      WHERE id = 1;
>>>
>>>      UPDATE demo
>>>      SET value = value
>>>      WHERE id = 1;
>>>
>>>      -- ctid = (8,41)
>>>      SELECT id, xmin, ctid, value
>>>      FROM demo
>>>      WHERE id = 1;
>>>
>>> I'm curious as to what would prevent keeping the row where it is and maybe
>>> change xmin in place?
>>
>> Because Postgres uses MVCC:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/mvcc-intro.html
>>
>> So an update is a delete and an insert and you are really seeing a new row.
>>

> I'm having trouble understanding why it is necessary to generate a new
> tuple even when nothing has changed. It seems that the OP understands
> that MVCC is at work, but is questioning why this exact behavior occurs.
> I too have the same question.

I don't have the answer but Tom Lane does, from:

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/GENERAL-Update-on-tables-when-the-row-doesn-t-change-td1844002.html

"Because testing for this would almost surely be a net loss for the vast
majority of applications.  Checking to see if the new row value exactly
equals the old is hardly a zero-cost operation; if you pay that on every
update, that's a lot of overhead that you are hoping to make back by
sometimes avoiding the physical store of the new tuple.  In most
applications I think the "sometimes" isn't going to be often enough
to justify doing it.

If you have a particular table in a particular app where it is worth it,
I'd recommend writing a BEFORE UPDATE trigger to make the comparisons
and suppress the update when NEW and OLD are equal. "

> Perhaps you could provide an example where an replacing the tuple would
> be required in the presence of multiple transactions?

I am not sure what you are asking above?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Сообщение: Re: Rewritten rows on unchanged values
Сообщение: Re: Rewritten rows on unchanged values