Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
    Greg Smith wrote:

> The problem is that few discussions happen on these lists for things
> like "how do I get used to PostgreSQL after growing up on MySQL?"  And
> that material will never be appropriate for the PostgreSQL
> documentation.  I would highly encourage people to migrate their own
> personal notes on such things to the very under-maintained section at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#MySQL

On the other hand, some of the notes already mentioned on the wiki, such as
for example:
http://www.xach.com/aolserver/mysql-to-postgresql.html
...are so outdated and/or bad that they're probably counter-productive.

Also, a page such as
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/How_to_make_a_proper_migration_from_MySQL_to_
PostgreSQL
reads as something that (unintentionally I imagine) discourages people from
trying to migrate rather than providing any actual help. You don't help
people by telling them a migration will be very long and hard and that they
should probably redesign a lot, without knowing anything about their
application/database. It could be just as well very smooth with immediate
benefits.

IMHO such contents should simply be scraped/unlinked.

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: http://www.manitou-mail.org