Re: Comments on columns in the pg_catalog tables/views

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Comments on columns in the pg_catalog tables/views
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> Before I dive into this, is there some reason why the pg_catalog.*
>> tables/views should not have comments that match the descriptions in
>> the docs?  I can see where this could cause some maintenance issues,

> Yeah.  If you can figure a way to auto-generate the comments from the
> sgml files, it'd be nice, but I definitely don't want to manually
> maintain Yet Another set of per-column information.

Dept of second thoughts: actually, perhaps see if you can generate the
pg_description entries from the C comments in the include/catalog header
files.  There's already a strong motivation to hold those to
shorter-than-a-line length, whereas the column descriptions in
catalogs.sgml tend to run on a little longer, and wouldn't format nicely
in \dt+.