Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/11/13 12:19 PM, Greg Stark wrote:
> Think also about the case where someone wants to change multiple
> values together and having just some set and not others would be
> inconsistent.

Isn't that an argument for syntax to make an exception though?  If
starting from a blank slate I would say this case should be:

SET PERSISTENT (POSTPONE) maintenance_work_mem='2GB';
SET PERSISTENT work_mem='2GB';

That's jumping right over a few rounds of simpler ways to do this, and
just going right to the approach we know allows adding more such options
later with minimal grammar impact.
From the perspective of what a useful minimal commit looks like, I
would think 90% of the use cases here expect immediate reload of just
the postgresql.conf--but probably not pg_hba.conf--and any other
refinement could wait until a next release.