Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>     Now that we are going to start v6.5 BETA, isn't  it  good  to
>     put  out  v6.4.3  before  the hot time begins?

I'm beginning to agree with Jan about this.  I have in fact been
thinking that I wasn't going to be in any big hurry to install 6.5
on my company's mission-critical server, because of the size of the
changes being put in place (MVCC etc).  We ran 6.4 in early alpha
stage because we had to --- we were getting bitten by 6.3.2 bugs ---
but 6.4 has been pretty stable for us and so we're probably going
to take a wait-and-see attitude about 6.5.

I don't want to see the Postgres group put a *lot* of time into
maintaining back-rev versions, but when we can easily retrofit an
important bugfix into the prior release we should probably do it.

I do say that back-rev maintenance should be bugfixes only, no
feature upgrades.  Adding features would not only be more work,
but it would go against the whole point of the exercise, which is
to provide as stable a release as we possibly can.

The good news is that Postgres is getting used for real,
mission-critical work.  Every project should have such problems ;-)

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0
Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0