Re: Server instrumentation for 8.1

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Server instrumentation for 8.1
Дата
Re: Server instrumentation for 8.1  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> Another thought I had along that line was use a different signal to
> simply do a "query cancel" and set a global flag that is more or less
> "get out when you're done with query cancel". Then if that flag is set,
> just close the connection and proceed as if the client dropped the
> connection - that has to be a well tested codepath.

This is pretty much exactly what kill -TERM does today, and the point is
that the code path has only been extensively tested in the context of
database-wide shutdown.  No one can honestly say that they are sure
there are no resource leaks, locks left unreleased, stuff like that.
That kind of problem wouldn't be visible after a shutdown, but it will
become visible if backends are killed individually with -TERM.

Now in theory there are no bugs and this'll work fine.  What disturbs me
is the lack of testing by anyone who knows what to look for ...