Re: COPY table to file missing quotation marks

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: COPY table to file missing quotation marks
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/31/2013 08:46 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 01/31/2013 08:37 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>>    I'd like to understand what I'm missing when I COPY a table to a .csv
>> file
>> but the text is not quoted.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-copy.html
>
> CSV Format

> "The values in each record are separated by the DELIMITER character.
> If the value contains the delimiter character, the QUOTE character,
> the NULL string, a carriage return, or line feed character, then the
> whole value is prefixed and suffixed by the QUOTE character, and any
> occurrence within the value of a QUOTE character or the ESCAPE
> character is preceded by the escape character. You can also use
> FORCE_QUOTE to force quotes when outputting non-NULL values in
> specific columns." ...
>

> FORCE_QUOTE
> Forces quoting to be used for all non-NULL values in each specified
> column. NULL output is never quoted. If * is specified, non-NULL
> values will be quoted in all columns. This option is allowed only in
> COPY TO, and only when using CSV format.

Adrian beat me to answering so I'll just add that different systems
generate and require slightly different CSV formats and though RFC4180
attempts to offer guidance, even that document states:

Definition of the CSV Format:

While there are various specifications and implementations for the CSV
format...there is no formal specification in existence, which allows for
a wide variety of interpretations of CSV files.

Cheers,
Steve