Re: main.log file not being updated

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: main.log file not being updated
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/28/2013 10:38 AM, Anson Abraham wrote:
> no cluster, just 2 different independent/isolated DB servers.

On the same machine or different machines?

> As for location of logs, yes, it's the correct one, b/c when logrotate
> (through system), initiated I can see the other log files gzipped.  The
> install was done through ,what I believe, apt-get.

This is assuming the logging is set up properly. The issue is not on
with the ones that are working, but with one that is not. It is very
possible that it is not logging to where you think it is.

As to apt-get, have you done a dpkg -l|grep post to see what was installed?

I would say it is highly probable you are running up against pg_cluster.

Reason being, from your previous posts and the Debian
site(http://wiki.debian.org/PostgreSql):

Your log file:
postgresql-9.0-main.log
Debian policy
Log files: Installing PostgreSQL creates log directory
/var/log/postgresql/. Starting the database engine creates log file with
name postgresql-[version]-[cluster].log.

Your init script:
init.d/postgres

Debian
Debian installs SysV-init compatible (standard) start-up script
/etc/init.d/postgresql-[version]. It can be used to start, stop, restart
and reload the system. It calls pg_ctlcluster internally.

Note the difference in init script. Best guess is you are calling an
init script that is unaware of the Debian setup.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com