Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/22/2013 01:15 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Yeah, and a lot more fairly-new developers who don't understand all the
> connections in the existing system.

I think it's just in the nature of the beast we're dealing with to be
much more conservative about what we accept than it might be for some
other projects. This helps to contribute to our deserved reputation for
stability and reliability.

> For a very long time we've tried to encourage people to submit rough
> ideas to pgsql-hackers for discussion *before* they start coding.
> The point of that is to weed out, or fix if possible, (some of) the bad
> ideas before a lot of effort has gotten expended on them.

Getting this idea across can be surprisingly difficult, especially in
cultures not used to dealing with open source. Large commercial ventures
with a history in proprietary software tend to want to come to the table
with a shiny new feature patch, all gift wrapped and sparkly. And they
are not alone - even new individual contributors want to work this way.
I wouldn't blame the commitfest procedure - it's just something we need
to keep hammering on.

cheers

andrew