Re: Analyze and default_statistics_target

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Analyze and default_statistics_target
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 21.01.2013 17:29, AJ Weber wrote:
> I was under the impression that the default_statistics_target was a
> percentage of rows to analyze. Maybe this is not the case?

Nope.

> I ran an analyze during a "quiet point" last night and for a few of my
> large tables, I didn't get what I consider a reasonable sampling of
> rows. When running with "verbose" enabled, it appeared that a maximum of
> 240000 rows were being analyzed, including on tables exceeding 4-8mm
> rows. My default_statistics_target = 80.
>
> Shouldn't I be analyzing a larger percentage of these big tables?

Analyze only needs a fairly small random sample of the rows in the table
to get a picture of what the data looks like. Compare with e.g opinion
polls; you only need to sample a few thousand people to get a result
with reasonable error bound.

That's for estimating the histogram. Estimating ndistinct is a different
story, and it's well-known that the estimates of ndistinct are sometimes
wildly wrong.

> What is the unit-of-measure used for default_statistics_target?

It's the number of entries stored in the histogram and
most-common-values list in pg_statistics.

See also http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/planner-stats.html:

"The amount of information stored in pg_statistic by ANALYZE, in
particular the maximum number of entries in the most_common_vals and
histogram_bounds arrays for each column, can be set on a
column-by-column basis using the ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS command, or
globally by setting the default_statistics_target configuration
variable. The default limit is presently 100 entries."

- Heikki