Re: How to hack the storage component?

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: How to hack the storage component?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 18.01.2013 11:02, wang chaoyong wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>      Currently, I'm trying to read the storage component, since it's biased
> towards the lower layer, seems more difficult to understand and debug. All
> the materials I have found are the original papers on
> http://db.cs.berkeley.edu, I'm wondering how much it have been changed
> since Postgres. Could you please give me some suggestions? Thanks.

It has changed a lot since the Berkeley times. I doubt the original
papers are of much use anymore in understanding modern PostgreSQL.
You'll want to read src/backend/storage/smgr/README, although there
isn't much there. Also make sure you read the "Database Physical
Storage" section in the user manual,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/storage.html.

- Heikki