Re: Move postgresql_fdw_validator into dblink

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Move postgresql_fdw_validator into dblink
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
cite="mid:20121116000828.GA4347@tornado.leadboat.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 02:33:21PM +0900,
ShigeruHanada wrote:

class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp"><kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp></a> wrote:

no other fdw module has shorten naming such as ora_fdw for
Oracle.
However, I doubt whether it is enough strong reason to force to
solve the technical difficulty; naming conflicts with existing user
visible features.
Isn't it worth to consider to back to the pgsql_fdw_validator
naming again?
AFAIR, in the discussion about naming of the new FDW, another
name postgres_fdw was suggested as well as postgresql_fdw, and I
chose the one more familiar to me at that time.  I think that only few
people feel that "postgres" is shortened name of
postgresql.

How about using postgres_fdw for PG-FDW?
I couldn't agree more with Robert's comments[1].  Furthermore, this name only
shows up in calls to {CREATE|ALTER} FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER, which means 99.9% of
users would write "CREATE EXTENSION postgresql_fdw" and never even see the
name.  I'd take "postgresql_fdw_whoops_names_are_a_big_commitment" if it meant
settling this issue 30 days earlier than we'd otherwise settle it.

Notwithstanding, I propose "postgresql.org/contrib/postgresql_fdw/validator".
Since the sole code that ought to reference the name lives in
contrib/postgresql_fdw/*.sql, the verbosity and double-quotation will cause no
appreciable harm.  If anything, it will discourage ill-advised users.
</pre></blockquote> Was there any further progress on this? Committing of the postgresql_fdw seems to be stalled on a
namingissue that has a couple of reasonable resolutions available, and it'd be nice to get it in as a contrib
module.<br/><br /><a
href="https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=940">https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=940</a><br
/><preclass="moz-signature" cols="72">-- Craig Ringer                   <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/">http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/</a>PostgreSQLDevelopment, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services</pre>