Re: json api WIP patch

От james
Тема Re: json api WIP patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> You can use COPY from a stored procedure, but only to and from files.

I think that's in the chocolate fireguard realm though as far as
efficiency for this sort of scenario goes, even if its handled by
retaining an mmap'd file as workspace.

>> If SPI provided a way to perform a copy to a temp table and then some callback on an iterator that yields rows to
it,that would do the trick I guess.

> SPI is useful, but it's certainly possible to avoid its use. After all, that what almost the whole backend does,
includingthe COPY code. Of course, it's a lot harder to write that way, which is part of why SPI exists. Efficiency has
itsprice.

So it is possible to use a lower level interface from a C stored proc?
SPI is the (only) documented direct function extension API isn't it?

Is the issue with using the JSON data-to-record set that the parsing can
be costly?  Perhaps it can be achieved with B64 of compressed protobuf,
or such.  I don't mind if it seems a bit messy - the code can be
generated from the table easily enough, especially if I can use C++.  I
guess an allocator that uses SPI_palloc would solve issues with memory
management on error?

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: PATCH: optimized DROP of multiple tables within a transaction
От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: json api WIP patch