Re: Makefiles don't seem to remember to rebuild everything anymore

On 12/15/12 11:23 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Cédric Villemain <cedric@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> Le vendredi 14 décembre 2012 23:02:11, Tom Lane a écrit :
>>> $ rm gram.o
>>> rm: remove regular file `gram.o'? y
>>> $ make
>>> make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>>>
>>> WTF?
>
>> A previous patch changed the ".SECONDARY" from an if() section to the main
>> section of src/Makefile.global.in,
>
> Hm.  I should have made clear that this isn't specific to gram.o ---
> I also tried "rm analyze.o" and that didn't trigger any action either.
> So it doesn't seem to be a case of the bison rule chain being
> specifically at fault.
>
> I do suspect that this was triggered by some fairly recent makefile
> change, though, because I don't recall having seen anything as odd
> as this until recently.

I can see it in 9.1 but not in 9.0, but I haven't had the time to
pinpoint the exact change.

Although it's a bit odd, it's not really a problem, I think.  If you
want to rebuild analyze.o, you should write "make analyze.o".  If you
want to rebuild postgres, run make in src/backend, and analyze.o (or
whatever) will be rebuilt.