Re: Dumping an Extension's Script

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Dumping an Extension's Script
Дата
Re: Dumping an Extension's Script
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05.12.2012 19:27, Andres Freund wrote:
>> And I still don't understand why pg_dump needs to know about any of this...
>
> Extensions should be fully per-database and we want pg_dump backups to
> be restorable into another database/clusters/servers. So having a mode
> for pg_dump that actually makes dumps that are usable for recovering
> after a disaster seems sensible to me. Otherwise you need to redeploy
> from the VCS or whatever, which isn't really what you want when
> restoring a database backup.

Ok - but that it yet another issue, not to be confused with how you
deploy extensions. If we are to have such a mode in pg_dump, it should
be able to dump *all* extensions, regardless of how they were deployed.
(ok, might be difficult for extensions that include .so files or
similar, but certainly for an extension that only contains a .sql file
and a .control file, it shouldn't matter how it was deployed).

And whether extension control files (or the same information stored in a
table or wherever) should be per-database or per cluster - that's *yet*
another separate issue. You could argue for either behavior.

- Heikki