Re: Hot Standby Feedback should default to on in 9.3+

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Hot Standby Feedback should default to on in 9.3+
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 30.11.2012 23:40, Claudio Freire wrote:

>>> 1d
>>
>> Was there actually a transaction hanging open for an entire day on
>> the standby? Was it a query which actually ran that long, or an
>> ill-behaved user or piece of software?
>
> No, and if there was, I wouldn't care for it to be cancelled.
>
> Queries were being cancelled way before that timeout was reached,
> probably something to do with max_keep_segments on the master side
> being unable to keep up for that long.

Running out of max_keep_segments would produce a different error,
requiring a new base backup.

>> I have most certainly managed databases where holding up vacuuming
>> on the source would cripple performance to the point that users
>> would have demanded that any other process causing it must be
>> immediately canceled. And canceling it wouldn't be enough at that
>> point -- the bloat would still need to be fixed before they could
>> work efficiently.
>
> I wouldn't mind occasional cancels, but these were recurring. When a
> query ran long enough, there was no way for it to finish, no matter
> how many times you tried. The master never stops being busy, that's
> probably a factor.

Hmm, it sounds like max_standby_streaming_delay=1d didn't work as
intended for some reason. It should've given the query one day to run
before canceling it. Unless the standby was running one day behind the
master already, but that seems unlikely. Any chance you could reproduce
that?

- Heikki