Re: Hints (was Poor performance using CTE)

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Hints (was Poor performance using CTE)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 11/21/2012 08:05 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Rather than telling the planner what to do or not to do, I'd much rather
> have hints that give the planner more information about the tables and
> quals involved in the query. A typical source of bad plans is when the
> planner gets its cost estimates wrong. So rather than telling the
> planner to use a nested loop join for "a INNER JOIN b ON a.id = b.id",
> the user could tell the planner that there are only 10 rows that match
> the "a.id = b.id" qual. That gives the planner the information it needs
> to choose the right plan on its own. That kind of hints would be much
> less implementation specific and much more likely to still be useful, or
> at least not outright counter-productive, in a future version with a
> smarter planner.
>
> You could also attach that kind of hints to tables and columns, which
> would be more portable and nicer than decorating all queries.

I like this idea, but also think that if we have a syntax to allow
hints, it would be nice to have a simple way to ignore all hints (yes, I
suppose I'm suggesting yet another GUC). That way after sprinkling your
SQL with hints, you could easily periodically (e.g. after a Postgres
upgrade) test what would happen if the hints were removed.

Joe
--
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us