Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark?

От Will Rutherdale (rutherw)
Тема Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark?
Дата
Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark?  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-general
You have a point, as do a lot of the other folks.

However, keeping the KISS principle in mind, you can create a benchmark
that simply sets up a sample database and forks off a bunch of processes
to do random updates for an hour, say.  Dead simple.

In fact, it's so simple that I've already written the code and have it
running against Postgres now.  A Perl DBI script runs in a loop
updating, and later prints out the number of transactions it completed
in the given time frame.  At the end I just tally up the numbers and I
have the Will Rutherdale benchmark number for Postgres.  It will give me
a simple number in units of transactions per second.

When I get time I'll set up an equivalent MySQL database on the same
machine and run it against that.

I have 'top' running in one screen and can see all the copies of my
script and all the copies of postmaster and the CPU they're using.

The degree to which I got excoriated just for asking the question
convinced me that I was onto something and had to do it myself.

-Will