Re: Prepared Statement Name Truncation

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: Prepared Statement Name Truncation
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 18/11/12 17:10, Phil Sorber wrote:

On Nov 17, 2012 11:06 PM, "Gavin Flower" <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:

> On 18/11/12 16:49, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>> NOTICE:  identifier
>>> "this_is_a_really_long_identifier_for_a_prepared_statement_name_ok"
>>> will be truncated to
>>> "this_is_a_really_long_identifier_for_a_prepared_statement_name_"
>>> PREPARE

>>> The ORM could use a shorter identifier, but it supports multiple backends
>>> and this is probably not something in their test suite. In addition it
>>> actually works!
>>
>> For now. If it really works, then by definition it does not /need/ to
>> be that long, as the truncated version is not blowing things up.
[...]
>>> Set a hard limit and ERROR instead of truncating and NOTICE?
>>> Both? Neither because that would break backward compatibility?
>>
>> My vote is WARNING and bump limit to 128 in 9.3. That's the combo most
>> likely to make dumb applications work better while not breaking
>> existing smart ones.

[...]

> Would it be appropriate to make it a WARNING in 9.2.2, then increase the length in 9.3?
>
> Though I still feel I'd like it to be an ERROR, may be a configuration variable in 9.3 to promote it to an ERROR with WARNING being the default?

In that case I'd make it ERROR by default and make people override to WARNING if it breaks things. Otherwise no one will change.

[...]

How about a WARNING in 9.2.2, and ERROR in 9.3 with a configuration option to downgrade it to WARNING - as well as increasing the max length to 128 to match the standard in 9.3 (I assume the size increase is to drastic for 9.2.x!)?

Cheers,
Gavin