Re: 9.2 streaming replication issue and solution strategy

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: 9.2 streaming replication issue and solution strategy
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/17/2012 07:33 AM, T. E. Lawrence wrote:
>> Have you looked at the below?:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/hot-standby.html#HOT-STANDBY-CONFLICT
>>
>> 25.5.2. Handling Query Conflicts
>
> Yes, thank you!
>
> I am hoping to hear more from people who have running 9.2 systems w/ between 100m and 1b records, w/ streaming
replicationand heavy data mining on the slaves (5-50m records read per hour by multiple parallel processes), while from
timeto time (2-3 times/week) between 20 and 50m records are inserted/updated within 24 hours.

> How do they resolve this situation.
>
> For us retry + switch slave works quite well right now, without touching the db configuration in this respect yet.
>
> But may be there are different approaches.

The conditions you cite above are outside my experience and I will leave
it to others for specific suggestions.

On a more conceptual level, assuming asynchronous replication, I see the
following.

1) In a given database data changes are like wave fronts flowing across
a sea of data.

2) Replication introduces another wave front in the movement of data
from parent to child.

3) Querying that wave front in the child becomes a timing issue.

4) There are settings to mitigate that timing issue but not eliminate
it. To do so would require more information exchange between the
parent/child then takes place currently.

5) If it is essential to work the wave front then turbulence is to be
expected and dealt with. See your solution. I too would be interested in
method that is not some variation of what you do.

6) If working the wave front is not essential, then other strategies
come into play. For instance partitioning, where older more 'settled'
data can be segregated and worked on.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

От: "T. E. Lawrence"
Сообщение: Re: Using a GIN index on an integer array to model sets of tags
От: Ryan Kelly
Сообщение: Re: Using a GIN index on an integer array to model sets of tags