Re: HT on or off for E5-26xx ?

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: HT on or off for E5-26xx ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 07/11/12 16:31, David Boreham wrote:

> I'm bringing up a new type of server using Intel E5-2620 (unisocket)
> which was selected for good SpecIntRate performance vs cost/power (201
> for $410 and 95W).
>
> Was assuming it was 6-core but I just noticed it has HT which is
> currently enabled since I see 12 cores in /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Question for the performance experts : is it better to have HT enabled
> or disabled for this generation of Xeon ?
> Workload will be moderately concurrent, small OLTP type transactions.
> We'll also run a few low-load VMs (using KVM) and a big Java application.

I've been benchmarking a E5-4640 (4 socket) and hyperthreading off gave
much better scaling behaviour in pgbench (gentle rise and flatten off),
whereas with hyperthreading on there was a dramatic falloff after approx
number clients = number of (hyperthreaded) cpus. The box is intended to
be a pure db server, so we are running with hyperthreading off.

Cheers

Mark