Re: can a partition be loaded from file?

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: can a partition be loaded from file?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/01/12 12:48 AM, zhangbonian wrote:
> I have a question that if a partition can be loaded from a file?
> A table in the database is partitioned, and each partition is saved to
> a separate tablespace, so each located in a separate directory. We
> want to transfer the data in a specific partition (a directory with
> files in it) to a remote machine then load this partition to the db
> for processing. The remote DB has the same db schema to the local
> machine. and the data in this table doesn't depend on other tables.
> I'm not sure if it is workable. we can stop the database when doing
> backup (but not the database engine, Postgresql process) for data
> consistency.
> If it is not workable, does the COPY TO file function is the best
> solution for this situation?

no, that won't work, as there is a whole lot of metadata in the system
catalog that won't travel with that data, further, the OID's can be
different from system to system.

I would use: pg_dump -Fc -t partitionname -f dumpfile dbname

then restore this data on the other system with pg_restore ...