Re: Deprecating RULES

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Deprecating RULES
Дата
Re: Deprecating RULES
Список pgsql-hackers
Daniel,

> I'm not going to disagree with that, I only feel it's reasonable to
> ask why those who react so strongly against deprecation why they think
> what they do, and receive a clinical response, because not everyone
> has seen those use cases.  My level of interest in deprecation is only
> as far as "if those who have to deal with the RULES implementation
> don't want to work on it anymore in favor of other things, I think the
> pain to users of deprecation is, from my vantage point, manageable if
> given some time."

Note that you have heard from one of the people maintaining RULES, who
doesn't find them problematic to maintain (Tom).  Note that the original
hackers calling for deprecation do not work on RULEs except where they
touch other features.

And I'll say again: if you want a full list of use-cases for RULEs, you
need to go further than the -hackers list.  This is a small, insular
community which does not represent the majority of PostgreSQL users.
You have gone to Heroku's users, but given the nature of your user base,
they seem like the least likely group of people to use RULEs.  That's
like me polling a bunch of Data Warehousing geeks and then declaring
that we don't really need SERIALIZABLE.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.