Re: Beginner's question about ODBC and/or foreign data sources

От George Roberge
Тема Re: Beginner's question about ODBC and/or foreign data sources
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On 10/17/2012 09:42 PM, Andrej wrote:
> On 18 October 2012 13:57, George Roberge <groberge@andforthelamb.org> wrote:
>>> Maybe I completely misunderstood this initial paragraph of your mail,
>>> but how does using postgres to look at other windows data sources comprise a
>>> replacement for access?
>> Oh sure.
>>
>> That was just a very broad (and useless as far as my actual questions go)
>> statement legitimizing my question's existence on the planet!
> LOL ...
>
>> It is a long-term goal to break PostgreSQL into the workplace, and
>> eventually use it enough that perhaps Access will disappear.  It's a battle
>> against "The Machine" of course, but hey....
>>
>> The data source is a Syspro ERP ODBC source.  Access naturally readily
>> connects to this source, and we supplement the ERP with a few Access
>> databases when we need to use its data in ways that the ERP doesn't handle.
>
> So you're primarily using access as a front-end/GUI to your ERP system, with
> a little extra ooomph?  If that's the case postgres probably isn't the cure for
> your access ailments :}
>
> Most likely you'll need a custom made GUI app, and possibly use postgres
> for the "and then some" bits from the same app.
>

>> George R.
> Cheers,
> Andrej

We're using the data in the ODBC linked tables, and writing queries,
forms, labels, and reports from the raw data, in Access databases. The
ERP itself is a monolithic package with plenty of screens, but some
people need only certain information (labels, for example) on the shop
floor.  Other uses are more easily-designed reports and various sales
and customer service figures.

Access has served the company well as far as a RAD tool, but has been
used a little sloppily.  It's time to overhaul some of the systems, and
I'm an Open Source kind of guy, so I lean more towards those tools.

I've been thinking about the possibility of using a simple web browser
as a front end, but that's a story for another day.

Thank you for your posts!
George R.

--
George Roberge
www.andforthelamb.org

-- If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... oh, wait....

От: Andrej
Сообщение: Re: Beginner's question about ODBC and/or foreign data sources
От: Frank Lanitz
Сообщение: Re: count() in 9.2