Ways to speed up ts_rank

От Shane Hathaway
Тема Ways to speed up ts_rank
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hello,

First let me say thanks for a fantastic database system.  The hard work
this community has put into Postgres really shows.

A client of mine has been using Postgres quite effectively for a while
now, but has recently hit a performance issue with text index queries,
specifically when using ts_rank or ts_rank_cd functions.

The database has a text index of around 200,000 documents.
Investigation revealed that text queries are slow only when using
ts_rank or ts_rank_cd.  Without a ts_rank function, any query is
answered within 200ms or so; with ts_rank function, queries take up to
30 seconds.  Deeper investigation using gprof showed that the problem is
probably not ts_rank or ts_rank_cd, but the fact that those functions
retrieve thousands of TOASTed tsvectors.

I estimate that the total size of the text index is 900 MB uncompressed
(including the TOAST data).  It is a table that stores only a docid, a
tsvector, and a couple other small fields.  Some queries cause ts_rank
to retrieve 700 MB of that 900 MB.  That means each time a user types a
simple query, Postgres retrieves and decompresses almost 700 MB of TOAST
data.  That's the size of a CD.  No wonder it sometimes takes so long!

I tried using SET STORAGE to optimize access to the TOAST tuples, but
that only made things worse.  Even with EXTERNAL storage, Postgres still
has to copy the TOAST data in RAM and that takes time.  I also
recompiled Postgres with a larger TOAST chunk size.  That did improve
performance by about 20%, but I'm looking for a much bigger win than that.

The tsvectors are large because the documents are of variable quality.
We can not rely on authors to provide good metadata; we really need the
text index to just index everything in the documents.  I've seen how
ts_rank can do its job with millions of documents in milliseconds, but
that only works when the text index stores a small amount of data per
document.  Short metadata just won't work for my client.  Also, my
client can not simply stop using ts_rank.

I've thought of some possible solutions to speed up ts_rank:

1. Cache the whole tsvectors in RAM.  This would be different from the
buffer cache, which apparently only knows how to cache the chunks of a
TOASTed tsvector.  I have thought of 3 ways to do this:

     A. Write a C extension that maintains a cache of tsvectors in
shared memory.  I think I would use each document's hash as the cache key.

     B. Add to Postgres the ability to cache any decompressed TOAST
value.  This would probably involve expanding the SET STORAGE clause of
ALTER TABLE so that adminstrators can configure which TOAST values are
worth caching.

     C. Alter the buffer cache to be more aware of TOAST; make it cache
whole TOAST values rather than chunks.  This would be invasive and might
be a bad idea overall.

2. Maintain 2 tsvectors per row: one for querying, another for ranking.
  The tsvector used for ranking would be trimmed to prevent TOASTing.
This would speed up queries, but it may impact the quality of ranking.

3. Write a C extension that stores the tsvectors in memory-mapped files
on disk, allowing us to at least take advantage of kernel-level caching.

What do you think?  Do one of these solutions pop out to you as a good
idea, or have I overlooked some simpler solution?

Shane