Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 10/08/2012 06:40 PM, Craig James wrote:

> Nobody has commented on the hyperthreading question yet ... does it
> really matter? The old (fast) server has hyperthreading disabled, and
> the new (slower) server has hyperthreads enabled.

I doubt it's this. With the newer post-Nehalem processors,
hyperthreading is actually much better than it was before. But you also
have this:

CPU    Speed    L3 Cache  DDR3 Speed
E5606  2.13Ghz  8MB       800Mhz
E5620  2.4Ghz   12MB      1066Mhz

Even with "equal" threads, the CPUs you  have in the new server, as
opposed to the old, are much worse. The E5606 doesn't even have
hyper-threading, so it's not an issue here. In fact, if you enabled it
on the old server, it would likely get *much faster*.

We saw a 40% improvement by enabling hyper-threading. Sure, it's not
100%, but it's not negative or zero, either.

Basically we can see, at the very least, that your servers are not
"identical." Little things like this can make a massive difference. The
old server has a much better CPU. Even crippled without hyperthreading,
I could see it beating the new server.

One thing you might want to check in the BIOS of the new server, is to
make sure that power saving mode is disabled everywhere you can find it.
Some servers come with that set by default, and that puts the CPU to
sleep occasionally, and the spin-up necessary to re-engage it is
punishing and inconsistent. We saw 20-40% drops in pgbench pretty much
at random, when CPU power saving was enabled.

This doesn't cover why your IO subsystem is slower on the new system,
but I suspect it might have something to do with the memory speed. It
suggests a slower PCI bus, which could choke your RAID card.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534

Сообщение: Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance
Сообщение: Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance