Re: hardware advice

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: hardware advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 09/27/2012 02:40 PM, David Boreham wrote:

> I think the newer CPU is the clear winner with a specintrate
> performance of 589 vs 432.

The comparisons you linked to had 24 absolute threads pitted against 32,
since the newer CPUs have a higher maximum cores per CPU. That said,
you're right that it has a fairly large cache. And from my experience,
Intel CPU generations have been scaling incredibly well lately.
(Opteron, we hardly knew ye!)

We went from Dunnington to Nehalem, and it was stunning how much better
the X5675 was compared to the E7450. Sandy Bridge isn't quite that much
of a jump though, so if you don't need that kind of bleeding-edge, you
might be able to save some cash. This is especially true since the
E5-2600 series has the same TDP profile and both use 32nm lithography.

Me? I'm waiting for Haswell, the next "tock" in Intel's Tick-Tock strategy.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534