Re: hardware advice

От David Boreham
Тема Re: hardware advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 9/27/2012 1:37 PM, Craig James wrote:
> We use a "white box" vendor (ASA Computers), and have been very happy
> with the results.  They build exactly what I ask for and deliver it in
> about a week.  They offer on-site service and warranties, but don't
> pressure me to buy them.  I'm not locked in to anything.  Their prices
> are good.

I'll second that : we build our own machines from white-label parts for
typically less than 1/2 the Dell list price. However, Dell does provide
value to some people : for example you can point a third-party software
vendor at a Dell box and demand they make their application work
properly whereas they may turn their nose up at a white label box. Same
goes for Operating Systems : we have spent much time debugging Linux
kernel issues on white box hardware. On Dell hardware we would most
likely have not hit those bugs because Red Hat tests on Dell. So YMMV...