Re: pg_operator.oprcode in 9.2rc1

От Joe Abbate
Тема Re: pg_operator.oprcode in 9.2rc1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

On 30/08/12 12:27, Tom Lane wrote:
> The reason for the difference is that in 9.2 there's more than one
> pg_catalog.upper():
>
> regression=# \df upper
>                           List of functions
>    Schema   | Name  | Result data type | Argument data types |  Type
> ------------+-------+------------------+---------------------+--------
>  pg_catalog | upper | anyelement       | anyrange            | normal
>  pg_catalog | upper | text             | text                | normal
> (2 rows)
>
> whereas prior versions had only upper(text).  The regproc output
> function isn't allowed to print argument types, which is what would be
> needed to disambiguate altogether, but it does what it can to warn you
> that "upper" alone is not a unique name by schema-qualifying the name.
>
> This is not new behavior in 9.2, it just happens to occur for upper()
> when it did not before.  If you're expecting regproc to always return
> unique unqualified names then your code is broken anyway, since such
> a requirement cannot be met when the function is overloaded.

Hmmm ... Well, I'm just doing the same thing as pg_dump, which in 9.2rc1
still outputs the same as before, namely:

SET search_path = public, pg_catalog;

--
-- Name: +; Type: OPERATOR; Schema: public; Owner: -
--

CREATE OPERATOR + (   PROCEDURE = upper,   RIGHTARG = text
);

What's somewhat confusing is that the documentation (and \d pg_operator)
states oprcode (as well as oprrest and oprjoin) are of type 'regproc'
and that it references a pg_proc.oid.  Does the catalog actually store
an OID, i.e., the OID of pg_catalog.upper(text), or something else?

Best regards,

Joe