Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?

От Ron
Тема Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/18/23 15:56, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 01:56:48PM -0500, Ron wrote:
>> We need to keep costs down, too.
>>
>> Oracle (I think) does it at the DB level, and so does SQL Server.  Upper
>> Management hears us say "sorry, no can do" and wonders what bunch of amateurs
>> are developing PostgreSQL.
> I have found it is hard to protect against the judgment of the ignorant,
> so I usually don't bother.

It's perfectly valid to ask "why can't they do X when our previous vendor
could?"

I, of course, know that it's because WAL records are global.  "They" then
quite reasonably ask why the developers haven't fixed that, yet.  The answer
(I think) is that "global WAL"is deeply embedded in the product, and would
require a major rewrite; adding new features is a higher priority.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Сообщение: Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?
Сообщение: Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?